For our first Summer Event of 2019 we’ll be going to be Houghton House on the outskirts of Amptill.
Houghton house is a ruined mansion house dating from 1615, and is now an English Heritage property. Access is free during daylight hours and the combination of the wooded drive, views over the Bedfordshire countryside and the ruins themselves make for a great photo location.
The ruins lend themselves particularly to portrait photography (so much so I asked my Wedding Photographer to do my engagement shoot here).
For our visit we’ll be meeting in the car park, at 10:30 AM on Saturday 23rd March.
- At the double roundabout in Ampthill take the left on the second roundabout (Bedford Street)
- Then leave Ampthill passing the Waitrose supermarket after 100 metres.
- The turning off the main road (B530) to approach Houghton House is on the right on a bend at the top of a hill, so take care when turning in.
- There’s the a paved access road which after about 600 metres leads to small parking area.
- Once we’ve parked up there’s a 10 minute walk to the house itself.
Please car share! The parking area is quite restricted so the fewer cars we can take the better.
Here are a few shots from my 2 most recent visits